Thursday 7 February 2013

FMS #72 {Negative Space Technique}

Today's card is inspired by the new Freshly Made Sketch challenge this week. It is a very clean and simple sketch and there is so much that can be done with it. I had a few ideas, but finally narrowed it down to one. Here is the sketch:
I wanted to try a new technique and this sketch was perfect for it! The technique is using negative space. This is very simple and looks really neat in the end! I used the blossom punch to create a window on the edge of the paper. I covered the card front with polka dot Rich Razzleberry designer paper, which can only be seen through the negative space from the blossom punch. I used a bright-coloured designer paper from the Sycamore Street collection and paired it with Pool Party and Rich Razzleberry cardstock.

 
For the center of the flower, I popped up a stamped image from the Mixed Bunch stamp set (one of my favourites!) and added a rhinestone to embellish it. I love the simplicity of this card. I think the designer paper really makes the card - the colours are so vibrant and really stand out.  
 
 
I think I'm going to try this negative space techqnique in a few different ways. I am a big paper scrap saver and I often save the scraps from punching out shapes. They would work great for this technique!
 
Card Ingredients:
 
Stamps: Mixed Bunch, Happiest Birthday Wishes (hostess)
Paper: Island Indigo, Pool Party, Rich Razzleberry, Sycamore Street DSP
Ink: Rich Razzleberry
Tools: Blossom punch, 1" circle punch, 3/4" circle punch
Accessories: Rhinestone (Michael's)
 
Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

  1. Your bright colors are terrific - perfect for a birthday card! Thanks for joining us at FMS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card Charissa! Love those fun, bright colours! Love that flower! Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love how you used the negative space technique with the sketch challenge. This is such a colorful and fun card! Thanks for sharing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete