Wednesday, 29 January 2014

30th Birthday Celebration

A couple days ago, we celebrated my hubby's 30th birthday! While he may think he's getting old, he is forever young in my eyes :) He is a wonderful, thoughtful, optimistic, determined, encouraging person; a talented photographer and an avid outdoorsman. Oh ya... and handsome too!

 
Words cannot express how much I love this guy!
 
To celebrate, we enjoyed a delicious dining experience at a local restaurant called the White Goose Bistro. He had his favourite - red wine and seafood, and I tried chicken cordon bleu with roasted potatoes and white wine. So good!
 
Of course, I made him a unique handmade card. I struggled at first with the design of my card, knowing that it had to be special. I decided to stick with the "30" theme and I was very pleased with the result:
 
 
I started with a 5" x 5" square card, then simply drew the '30' and cut it out, leaving the fold at the top of the '30'. I cut 1" strips of designer paper and glued them on the card front, then re-cut the 30 shape. I added a fun banner using bakers twine and the pennant punch. Three candy dots embellish the card.
 
 


 
For his birthday this year, I decided to get him a unique gift, something he would never guess! And I totally surprised him! (this is hard to do, as he usually picks out exactly what he wants or simply buys it himself). I wanted to give him a chance to guess, so I made a gift tag with a hint on it...
 
 
 
You're probably thinking, a shark? really? What could this gift possibly be? haha... this was Kevin's reaction exactly. Well let me explain... usually once a year we like to drive down to Kelowna for a mini weekend getaway. They have an awesome store called "Bones and Stones" and we make sure to stop there every time. They have the most unique house d├ęcor items from all over the world. We have added a few stones, etc. to our collections. But one thing Kevin has been eyeing up are the megalodon shark teeth that they sometimes sell there and so I knew this would be the perfect gift.
 
 
To give you an idea, this single tooth is actually 5.09" in length. Here's a better picture of how big these sharks actually were:
 
 
Here's wishing Kevin the best year yet!
 
Card Ingredients:
Stamps: Family Reunion (ret.), Pennant Parade, Fundamental Phrases (ret.)
Paper: Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Well Worn DSP, Regals DSP
Ink: Early Espresso
Tools: Petite Pennant Builder punch, 3/4" Circle punch
Accessories: Early Espresso bakers twine, Square Lattice embossing folder, Crumb Cake candy dots
 
Gift Tag:
Paper: Smokey Slate, Night of Navy, Baja Breeze, Basic Gray, Whisper White, Basic Black
Ink: White gel pen
Tools: Oval nestabilities, Petite Pennant Builder punch (for fins), Owl Builder punch (for the eyes), 3/4" Circle punch, 1" Circle punch (for waves)
Accessories: Gray bakers twine (CTMH)


No comments:

Post a Comment