Tuesday 21 May 2013

A Barkerville Experience and a Graduation Card

It's nice to get back into cardmaking/blogging after a bit of a break. This past weekend was a catch-up weekend for me, for the most part. I spent most of Saturday finalizing our road trip plans, making some changes to our itinerary so we can stay one night in Vegas (can't wait!). I then spent some time sorting through older pictures from 2007/2008 that I still want to scrapbook (I have close to 200 photos from those years that I want to scrapbook!). I look forward to getting back into scrapbooking again and hope to add some variety to my blog posts in the near future.
On the holiday Monday (Victoria Day in Canada), my husband and I decided to take a day trip to a historic town called Barkerville. At first we weren't sure if we should go, as there was rain forecasted for most of the day. However, I'm glad we did! It was cloudy, but didn't rain until we drove home! Barkerville was B.C.'s gold rush town back in the 1860's. It was a really neat experience! They have actors all dressed up walking around town and putting on presentations. We got to experience a court session and a morning prayer service in the Anglican church, watch a blacksmith at work, enjoy the most delicious Chinese food ever, take part in a fun photo shoot and watch an entertaining presentation on gold mining. Also, 'Queen Victoria' was in town for the holiday. We missed the afternoon tea, but got to see her ride in on the stagecoach. Here are a few pictures so you can have an idea of what it was like:




 
 
For today's post I wanted to play along with Mojo Monday's new sketch of the week, as well as a theme challenge with The Pink Elephant.


This week we are challenging you with a
"Graduation Theme"
(You can create a card, layout, or project featuring a "Graduation Theme")

This sketch is simple and versatile! I will probably use it more often. I've been wanting to use a stamp from the "Word Play" stamp set that would be perfect for a graduation card. Here's what I came up with:

 
I chose Midnight Muse, Gumball Green, Crumb Cake and Whisper White for the colour combo and I think they go really well together! I used designer paper from the Print Poetry DSP stack and matted it with cardstock. The square lattice embossed strip of Crumb Cake adds some nice texture to the card. The arrow in the sentiment was stamped in Gumball Green and I fussy-cut it out, then popped it up to give the card some dimension. Silver brads and stitched satin ribbon embellish the card.
 

 
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you also had an enjoyable weekend!
 

Card Ingredients:
Stamps: Word Play
Paper: Midnight Muse, Crumb Cake, Whisper White, Gumball Green
Ink: Midnight Muse
Tools: Scallop Border punch, Corner Rounder punch, Square Lattice embossing folder
Accessories: Gumball Green stitched satin ribbon, silver brads (Michael's)


4 comments:

  1. I LOVE Barkerville! Thanks for sharing this awesome Grad card. I love all the colours and textures. I'm really going to miss Word Play when it retires, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a fun day! We really enjoyed it :) I am also going to miss Word Play when it retires... it's becoming one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful graduation card...love the color combo! Thanks so much for playing along with The Pink Elephant!

    ReplyDelete